Tuesday, October 25, 2011

All American Muslim: The Aoude Family



Nadar and Nawal are newly weds, expecting their first baby and trying to balance their traditional Muslim roots with the American culture. For the most part they are a traditionally minded couple.  It will be interesting to hear about how they plan to raise their son, when he is born.  I imagine it will a little difficult as the two cultures are so very different in many ways.  The American culture is very liberal and the Muslim traditions so conservative.  Striking a balance between the two cultures, on top of parenting, may prove to be challenging.


4 comments:

  1. While I may be interested to see a documentary about American Muslims (and I have seen a couple in the past on PBS), I don't think I am interested enough to see the entire reality TV series. Now I know exactly how the general public feels about Russian Dolls:-) They just could not care less about our queens of Brighton Beach:-) And our own community hated it with a passion (at least those few who cared:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The series is just 8 episodes about 5 families. I am going to give it a try. There maybe be less fabricated drama in this and more reality based facts. The couple of videos I have seen make the cast members appear to be natural.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would be interesting to hear your feedback, Nina. What did the producers of that show did differently than the produces of Russian Dolls? Or whether they repeated the same mistakes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be interested in what my readers think too now that we suffered through Russian Dolls. I went to the All American Muslim page on facebook and there is a lot of hostility there about the show. It seems like some will not give it a fair chance.

    ReplyDelete